Sunday, July 18, 2010

Zorn

While drawing the contrast between '90's bands of Europe vs. America, I was led to dig up some old Zorn 7"s. No, not the Avant Guarde composer, nor the black metal band. You may know the hardcore band from the classic "Plot" compilation, or if you're German perhaps they were a household name. I fear they were glossed over in my country, although the harsh, metallic hardcore hybrids that came out a couple of years later (in Arizona, for example) share some things in common. The "Heftig Aufflammender Unwille" 7" brings us stiflingly heavy hardcore that is emotive without being "emo" and metallic without being, well, metal. The "clean" passages nicely break up the relentless pummeling of the guitars I think, but some of you I fear will probably just want the guy to hit the damned pedal already. Anyway, this is classic stuff for me, and if you already love Systral, early Dawnbreed, Ego Trip, Gogatha, Acheborn, and maybe Wounded Knee, this is a band for you (as well as for lovers of Absinthe, Unruh, Jeremin, etc.)

A simple click will also get you Zorn's split with Zelot, who fall into a similar subgenre slot. I enjoy the Zorn tracks on their 7" much better, but really both bands do a fine enough job on this one.


*I have to apologize once again for the condition of the vinyl rips. I bought these for a buck each out of a used bin circa 2000.

5 comments:

mikxxx said...

I can say that zorn are powerful and blasty. Very good for a saturated genre... Very good work with the vocals...
mord an einer is so emo....
cheers and greetings from the sea...
http://www.greecephotos.gr/gallery/albums/greecephotos/leykada/LefkadaZ_02_0.jpg

Wooderson said...

Any band that uses a Simon Marsden photo for a cover has to be great!

Anonymous said...

thx, i was looking for the zelot split since long

Grave Concern said...

I had only heard the 12" when Zorn was around, this EP is awesome though!

Anonymous said...

thanks bat.

chris mosh eisely