Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Nuclear-Blackened Gates of Hell!

So I've heard that you like Japanese bands. Well, not all of them are good. There are two or three bad ones I'm sure, but that's irrelevant to today's post. The two bands of the day shouldn't disappoint you, even if you've been less than impressed with Disclose in the past. The G.A.T.E.S./Disclose split EP was originally released as a 7", and repressed here as a 10" (Plague Bearer Records). It is now sold out again, so it's time for a post! Maybe I haven't listened to later Disclose much, but they seem less formulaically Discharge-y this time. I consider this a good thing (And, yes, their "more is better" theory of distortion/volume usage is still in effect!). But, I'm going out of order, and need to mention that G.A.T.E.S. is one of the many great rock 'n roll hardcore bands coming out of Tokyo these days. Their three tracks deliver the goods: heavy drum production, raspy, traditional hardcore vocals, rockin' riffage, a little guitar solo wankery... I'm hooked! Keep an eye out for more from this band! But for now...

No comments: