Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hardcore For The Broken & Battered


It's been far too long since my last proper Out Cold post; perhaps these two deleted 7"s will atone for the gap. This post provides a beautifully abrasive sampling of the two periods that compose OC's long history. "Lost Cause" (Fudgeworthy Recs) features the original line up (with a different vocalist), and if it wasn't for the recording date on the back (1994), you'd think this was an eighties band you overlooked. The music, the recording, the hairstyles... total eighties! This is a good thing, but their later releases are awesome too...

"No Eye Contact" (Kangaroo Recs) is more along the lines of most of OC's releases. Sheehan had taken over on vocals, and the band had refined their relentless working-class-hero-hardcore sound. If you've heard any of their albums after the self-titled one (sometimes called "Web Of Lies"), then this EP will satisfy the Out Cold addiction you've developed from that experience. Each side comes from two different recording sessions in 1997 and 1998 respectively, and damn if all the tracks don't completely shred!

Both 7"s are Here

6 comments:

Papst Benedikt XVI said...

no worries - all tracks shred! stumbled over OUT COLD on their split with VOORHEES. those 2 bands make up a great tag team for split and the split also totally convinced me that OUT COLD is a band to reckon with!

Icky said...

I have
Permanent Twilight World
Planned Accidents
Warped Sense of Right & Wrong
and now these two 7"s, thanks to you.

You got any more?

I can never seem to enough of these guys!

Batguano said...

Let's see... on vinyl I've got almost everything: the stuff you mentioned, the split with Voorhees, "Two Broken Hearts...", the first LP, the live LP, "Will Attack If Provoked," and "Goodbye Cruel World." I ripped the last two a long time ago, but that was when I didn't know what a bitrate was. I'd like to have some good quality rips myself, so I'll keep you posted as I make progress...

The Pope- Yes! That split was a great match-up indeed! OC has been around forever, and deserve a lot more respect than they are usually given...

Papst Benedikt XVI said...

Jason as it's not in your list the VOORHEES / OUT COLD split 12" is up on am I mean.

it just made it's way back on my turntable thanks to your post!

Anonymous said...

awesome band and you just got to admire them for going strong after all those years despite an almost complete lack of recognition.

mikxxx said...

bat, can you please re-upload both 7'' ????