Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Social Darwinism Of War?

The excitement of adding a new favorite band to my list continues with the "Weed & Seed" 7". Whipped is by no means a new band, but for me they are; and it was all made possible by the power of blogging! Brandon H. introduced me to them, and Shawn pointed out the greatness of this EP (thanks for offering to rip it, by the way!). I finally found a (much abused) copy of my own and ripped it for you all. This is possibly the best and fiercest of the band's releases. If you enjoy the snottiness and power of bands like Dirt, Lost World, and Harum Scarum, Whipped might be a new old favorite for you as well. The band mentions that these tracks are "old," and since they deal with George Bush the senior's foreign policy, I would date them around the time of the band's inception ('90 or '91?). The four tracks have a long release history, appearing first on some comps and demos before being compiled conveniently for us here. Some of the lyrics are a bit naive (see post title), but their intentions are good and crusty, and the music is action packed! Member's previous involvement in Aspirin Feast may or may not interest you; either way, enjoy these crackly punk rock rips:

Here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that record as well as all the other whipped records you've posted. Whipped also has 2 songs on the "We are all guilty" 25 band Northwest Compilation that was also released on Katrina's Outcast record label.

Anonymous said...

Here's one of the 2 comps songs

http://www.mediafire.com/?qjzjxznofzz

somehow the other one vanished from el harddrive and I'm too lazy to re-rip the Comp

Anonymous said...

I FUCKING FOUND THE FIRST SONG!

http://www.mediafire.com/?jizmvthzyyi

Was in the Compilation folder where it was supposed to be, Silly me was looking in the Whipped folder. This will be your new favorite song, and it has a sweet Electra Glide in Blue sample at the beginning.

Batguano said...

Duuuuude! Thanks so much. I saw this comp on ebay or some such place a while ago, and wanted it for the Whipped tracks. I didn't go for it, though, so thanks again for helping out!

Anonymous said...

The first Whipped song is called "Bank Party" and the second one is "King Good Sincerity" no clue why I didn't label them the first time around probably got lazy. I just went through your whole blog and we have a lot of the same records.

Anonymous said...

Hey man..thanks for hunting this stuff down for me!! Whipped were simply fucking amazing, I was lucky enough to catch them at random house shows and shit back when the Pacific Northwest punk/crust scene was at its best!! Thanks again man and Im glad I could point you towards such an important band..Cheers-Brandon Hartwell

Batguano said...

Hey, there you are, Brandon. Good to see you around again. Lucky for me, the band isn't super well-known and I got their records for super cheap. I've said it before, but I'll say it one last time... Thanks for introducing me to Whipped!

Take it easy.

Anonymous said...

Ive also been looking for some old Obliterated stuff...great female fronted punk from Portland..i think they only had a handful of 7 inches...and the Whorehouse Of Reps/Mark Bruback split..oh and the Decrepit/Phalanx split...I figured Id ask you since you seem to be a rather able hunter! Let me know if you have any leads on this shit! Cheers man-Brandon

Batguano said...

Well, the Phalanx/Decrepit split is no problem; I scored that recently from the same place as some Shitlist stuff. I'll get that up ASAP. The other records... I'll be on the lookout.

Anonymous said...

Awesome man...thanks a bunch!